Have to run to that next interview and don’t have too much time to prepare? Check out these quick tips from Multimedia Journalist Claudia Amezcua.
1. Show interest and intent right off the bat whether it’s a quick line on your resume
2. If you can’t master all things, master one thing.
3. What beat or section are you interested in? Show interest online with posts on
Twitter and LinkedIn. Keep up with what’s going on in the world you want to cover.
4. Make sure your resume, cover letter or profiles show off what you can really do.
Don’t be shy.
5. HAVE a LinkedIn and make sure it has as much information as possible.
6. If you’re going to print journalism, you need to know a bit of everything but still
have that niche.
7. Be as visual and user friendly as possible with every outlet you have: Twitter,
website, LinkedIn and even resumes.
8. KEEP IT SIMPLE and short.
9. If you wouldn’t want your grandma to hear or read it, don’t say it online.
10. Brand yourself, make your own hash tag and promote it.
11. DON’T use bullet points on your resume.
12. Make sure your resume has your twitter handle and website link.
13. Get your own domain and have your twitter and everything else online connected to that
domain. That way, everything’s in one place.
14. Make sure you show off who you are and your personality.
15. Have an about me on your website portfolio and verify that all documents are downloadable.